Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glass ball problem

glass ball problem

I have a few old ones that I'd like to recycle, but don't have a good idea for a simple project. And by simple I mean really simple cause I may be a lot of things but handy and crafty are not among them. I was thinking about decorating the scratched ones (or those where color is chipping off) with glitter gel, or glitter glue, but never tried using it. Is the color on those transparent (like some gel) or solid? Is there something other than bleach that can be used for taking off the silver layer from inside the ball? How to easily paint the non-silvered ones i.e. those made of translucent glass? Thnx!

I use ModPodge on the outside of the balls and then sprinkle loose glitter on them - sometines I just do a swirl pattern just to cover the worse scratches. The glitter glues will peel off some surfaces and are not as sparkely as the real glitter. Trust me I have done it all.

ModPodge can be bought in any craft store, Walmart, ect. It is used for decoupaging but I use it as a glue - it dries clear and is pretty much fool proof. Hope that helps ......

Lynne

I know about applying glitter, but actually never tried it (if you can believe it). I heard it comes off constantly and is messy once on the ornament - like, you're not supposed to touch it.

This year I got a "brilliant" idea of applying cotton wool to the outside of the ball, which actually looked pretty cool but that wool catches on things like ornaments and tree needles and you constantly have to "adjust" it. So I'm thinking of taking it off, clearing the ball of silver layer (which is partially off already) and filling it with cotton wool on the inside. That'll be less messy and might look interesting. I also have some old tinsel garland which might go inside as well.

The tinsel garland inside would be pretty. I have no problems with the glitter flaking off with the ModPodge - I brush some on OVER the glitter after it has dried and the ModPodge acts as a sealent ......

Lynne

Quote Originally Posted by lynnenc View Post
    I have no problems with the glitter flaking off with the ModPodge - I brush some on OVER the glitter after it has dried and the ModPodge acts as a sealent ......

Lynne

Now THAT I didn't know - thanks! Although I don't know about the product you're talking about as I'm not from the States, but I believe many glues can be used the same way.

any of the white craft glues like Elmers can be used but you will need to dilute them with a little water .......

Lynne

Now this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1odpNdcMjg

seems even easier. The only thing is I don't understand what's that ink she's using(?). I wonder if you can use ordinary pen ink, if you want blue ornaments(?).

:light:

yes it's ink.i guess re-inker is something that is used to "wet" your ink pad again.

PS m4816k Thanks for the link.
    With Gods will.I will be making these ornaments for next Christmas!How many more Days ?lol
    Last edited by tlazer; 01-05-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Merry Christmas To All And To All A Good Night

Quote Originally Posted by tlazer View Post
    yes it's ink.i guess re-inker is something that is used to "wet" your ink pad again.
    Oh, thanks. My English is pretty good but I had a hard time understanding what she's saying - now I see the term was re-inker

And what do you guys think about using hair spray to apply glitter onto balls - spraying and then sprinkling glitter? I believe it could be done, but never tried. Do you think it would stick? I'm asking cause it sounds even simpler than using glue.