Thread: Matching the mismatched

Matching the mismatched

I have some tree decorating dilemmas and would appreciate an advice.

Some of my ornaments are matched, and some are unique. To explain, the matched ones are mostly colored balls (of diferent sizes), and the unique ones are really all diferent in shapes, colors and sizes.

What can I do to unify the look and to avoid having a messy looking tree? I don't mind having many colors (I actually plan on that), but I wouldn't like to go over the top and have people experience sensory overload when they see it.

Help

I hate to give advice and suggest that I'm any type of expert; I'm not.

Last year my plan was to have all of the ornaments be shiny glass with the exception of some red metal bells. I decided on a limit of five colors: red, blue, green, gold and silver. Every year my tradition is to have a nativity ornament on the tree. I couldn't find a shiny one except the colorful Radko type and I don't do those. So I ended up with my special shapes being matte finish (the red nativity ornament, red cardinals, and poinsettia ornaments). I ran out of shiny ones after going to the store several times to get more so I also ended up with some matte finish solid colors but it kind of bugged me the whole season because I have OCD tendencies. I made sure that all the ornaments had gold caps including the silver ornaments. Here are some close-ups:

Even though I edited at photobucket, they all came out sideways...sorry!

One more picture:

I never really worried about color schem my tree last year had alot of pink and white on it. but this year I made a bunch of red, green and white colored ornaments. I just use what is available. I have glass ornaments but I am afraid to use them with my dogs walking close to the tree. So I use mostly hadnmade ornaments. so I would not know what to say about your situation. Sorry I am no help to you~
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

Marshmallow World you have such nice ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by tlazer View Post
    Marshmallow World you have such nice ornaments
    I'm glad you like them. I was so nostalgic last year, but I really wanted my ornaments to be like Mom had in the sixties. Anyway, all the solid color ones came from Walmart except the red metal bells which I got at Lowes. The special ones came from different places like Target, Hobby Lobby, etc. None of those ornaments are on this year's tree. I'm in a different mood! We have no pets that will break any glass ornaments so that makes it easy.

I think I have an idea. Since most of my matched ornaments are either silver or gold I'll try to do clusters of 3 ornaments on every branch (...that is sturdy enough for that weight) and have a part of every cluster matched and another part mismatched ornaments. Based on the number of each group I'll figure if I should have 1 on 2 of the matched ornaments in each cluster.

Another OCD case I guess

I bet the cluster will be really cute I have never seen anyone do a tree like that I can't wait to see pics! I am sure it will all work out for your liking!
    Wishing you many hot cocoa mornings and firesky nights throughout the new year!

(((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))) Everybody Needs a Hug
    It changes your metabolism ((((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

I'm sure it will turn out. I was kind of worried about mine this year and I haven't taken a pic yet, but I think it looks okay.